The Woman’s Club of St. Michaels is located in historic St. Mary’s Square. Part of the community since 1906, the Club today has a wide variety of interest and activity groups providing weekly opportunities to have fun, learn, and serve our community.
In 1906, Mrs. Timothy Porter gathered a small group of women together to form The
Woman’s Literary Club for “self improvement and the study of literature.” During this era in
St. Michaels there were no paved roads, electricity, or central heating and women did not
have the right to vote. In 1913, the Literary Club joined the Maryland Federation of Women’s Clubs. By 1927, the women opened and staffed a library for the town of St. Michaels in their small clubhouse. A fire destroyed the clubhouse in 1940 but it was rebuilt in 1943 with the support of local business leaders and through the valiant efforts of the women themselves.The women paid off the mortgage two years later.
During WWII, the Club sold war bonds to raise $75,000 for a P-51 Mustang pursuit plane.
They rolled bandages and acted as plane spotters. In 1946, the Club contributed $2,600
toward an ambulance for the town. Woman’s Club members raised money for infantile
paralysis, the arts, cancer and scholarships. They endorsed the Equal Rights Amendment
and the right of women to serve on juries. They even purchased Christmas lights for Talbot
The women of of the club are proud of the scholarship given each year to one or more graduating seniors at St. Michaels High School. In forty years the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels has awarded over $200,000 to deserving students planning to attend a four year college or university, a community college or a vocational/technical school.